On 08/26/2008 11:34:58 AM, John Summerfield wrote:
> Douglas Wooster wrote:
> > <2 cents>
> > Also, certain supposedly "modern" mail programs make threading awkward
>
> :-) Name names, I need something to scoff at:-) It might be someone can
> explain to you how it works, I've see that happen before,

Ummm, for ... economic ... reasons, I better claim the fifth.  :)

> > use, so the goal with those is quote the whole thing so that the
fewest
> > number of posts have to be kept, in order to have a copy of (or be
able to
> > find) the whole thread.  On the other hand, if you receive a list in
> > "digest" mode, that technique can be an abomination.  It'd be cool if
list
> > servers gave, in addition to the current options of "send as digest"
and
> > "send individual posts", something like "send as threads".
>
> When should the server determine the thread's ended? or do you want the
> digest threaded?

Threading the digest is interesting alternative.  I wasn't expecting it to
hold everything until the entire thread had been discussed.  I was
thinking more like "send as threads" being every time it forwards a post,
attach all the preceeding posts of the thread to the new post (at top or
bottom, as configured).  Or collect posts, per-thread for some relatively
short period of time to reduce the number of mailings (maybe an hour??).

>  ... and I wonder whether they break threads when
> someone replies from a thread and remembers to set the subject properly.

Not sure  --  I do do that on some lists, but since digests inherently
don't thread, I can't tell.

> Is gmame a suitable alternative?

What's "gmame"?

Douglas