I have cross posted this as I feel it might be more of a VM question but maybe
it is more Linux realted...thanks

We have our z box on public addresses hence VM and all virtual Linux
servers are also. We have finally stared a push to move them onto 10
addresses. We have a layer 3 vswitch defined. The network group has given
me test ip addresses, subnet mask, and gateway addreses.
My problem is I can make the change to a given machine with ifconfig and
then view it through VM and see it has changed. But when I try to change
the routing info(using route add/del) I get "network unreachable".
we can ping the 10 gateway from VM  and from the linux machine(before the
change).
When I make the ip change it takes a few minutes and then on VM it is
reported that the machine is there.
Is it possible that changing this info on virtualized and this
(ifconfig/route) would only work on grey boxes with individual real nic
cards?
Or what have I missed??
thanks
Mace