Greetings all,

I am running z/VM 5.4 on an 2094 IFL and I am trying to install SLES10 SP1
of
SUSE Linux. I am using a virtual switch for the network connection. The
VM userid I am trying to install from is XG1DTECH here is a coy of the
SLES10 PARM:
ramdisk_size=10016 root=/dev/ram1 ro init=/linuxrc TERM=dumb
HostIP=10.101.240.211 Hostname=xg1dtech.prci.com
Gateway=10.101.240.1 Netmask=255.255.255.0
Broadcast=10.101.240.255 Layer2=0
ReadChannel=0.0.f003 WriteChannel=0.0.f004 DataChannel=0.0.f005
Nameserver=10.51.122.100 Portname=dontcare
Install=nfs://10.19.9.53/nfs/Linux/Suse/sles10sp1
UseVNC=1 VNCPassword=xxxxxxxx
InstNetDev=osa OsaInterface=qdio OsaMedium=eth Manual=0

Here is a partial console listing of what happens during the install:
qeth: Device 0.0.f003/0.0.f004/0.0.f005 is a Guest LAN QDIO card
(level:V40)
with link type GuestLAN QDIO (portname: dontcare)
qeth: Hardware IP fragmentation not supported on eth0
qeth: VLAN enabled
qeth: Multicast enabled
qeth: IPV6 enabled
qeth: Broadcast enabled
qeth: Using SW checksumming on eth0.
qeth: Outbound TSO not supported on eth0
sit0: Disabled Privacy Extensions

Up until the last qeth: message I can ping the guest but then I receive
the sit0: message and I lose connection and the ping fails, and of
course so does the installation.

I have opened a PMR with IBM and I am in the process of obtaining SP2 to
see if the issue is with SP1.

I have a VM TCPIP stack and another Linux guest using the virtual switch
without a problem. I also have a second Linux guest
that will not see the F003-F005 addresses at Linux IPL time, but I DET NIC
F003 and then issue a DEF NIC F003 and the
Linux guest sees and recognizes the NIC and Linux goes on its merry way
with the network. The guests that are working were guests
restored from a previous installation under VM 5.3.

I do not see any errors on the vswitch1 controller console nor in the
operlog. IBM had me run some traces and detemined
that traffic is being send to the guest but no responses are coming back,
no dropped packets, no errors simply no responses.

If SP2 does not work I will be contacting SUSE Linux support.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jihad K. Kawkabani
IT Systems Engineer Consultant