Thank you David and Ron for the quick responses.

Let me explain what I'm trying to do.

In zLinux I have a DB2 file system that is setup on one large 3390-27
disk pack.  And when I use Linux tools like iostat I see one disk
with one path to the Shark.  What I would like to do  is use the
eight paths to this single disk (yes, I would like multiple exposures
to the disks).   How do I do that?  Or maybe I already have this
configured or CP is doing it but I can not tell this with my limited Linux
commands?  We do have Velocity and I can see lots of IO going
through.

Also we don't used PAV and from what I understand that is more
of a zOS thing and we are a zVM shop.

Thank you

David K.

             David Boyes
             <dbo...@sinenomin
             e.net>                                                     To
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <linux-...@vm.mar
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Help with zLinux DASD using
                                       multiple paths
             02/23/2009 11:19
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <linux-...@vm.mar
                 IST.EDU>

On 2/23/09 11:12 AM, "David K. Kelly" <dkke...@courts.state.va.us> wrote:

> How can I configure multiple paths to a single disk in SUSE zLinux? I
have
> 8 paths to our Shark and I¹m running zLinux SUSE 10 in zVM V5.3 on
> a z9 and I want to configure multiple paths to a single
> 22.8 GB 3390-27 disk.

Just to be sure, do you want the Linux guest to see multiple exposures to
the disk? If so, you need the PAV microcode to do that.

If you just want it to exploit the physical paths, give the disk to CP as a
user volume, allocate the disk as a minidisk in the Linux directory entry,
and let CP worry about it. If the paths are in your IOCP, CP will
automagically use them.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or