On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Ihno Krumreich <i...@suse.de> wrote:

> So to submit more than one request at a time to the same disk there
> is only the possibility with PAV.

Would it not be the multi-path feature in Linux that allows Linux to
see multiple exposures and an I/O outstanding to each exposure. PAV is
what you need on LPAR to do this. With z/VM you can give the virtual
machine multiple links to the same mini disk to simulate this. Whether
that makes sense from a performance point of view depends on your
configuration. With MDC in the picture, you can show cases where this
works well.
I have not been able to measure a configuration where z/VM uses PAV to
back this. I have seen quite a few where it really made no sense at
all.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij