On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:41:03PM -0500, David K. Kelly wrote:
> Thank you David and Ron for the quick responses.
>
> Let me explain what I'm trying to do.
>
> In zLinux I have a DB2 file system that is setup on one large 3390-27
> disk pack.  And when I use Linux tools like iostat I see one disk
> with one path to the Shark.  What I would like to do  is use the
> eight paths to this single disk (yes, I would like multiple exposures
> to the disks).   How do I do that?  Or maybe I already have this
> configured or CP is doing it but I can not tell this with my limited Linux
> commands?  We do have Velocity and I can see lots of IO going
> through.
>
> Also we don't used PAV and from what I understand that is more
> of a zOS thing and we are a zVM shop.

Let me explain it from the Linux point of view.

For each disk linux sees it can submit one request at a time. Linux
has no knowledge how this disk is connected to the storage system.

So to submit more than one request at a time to the same disk there
is only the possibility with PAV.

If you can replace the one disk with set of smaller disks (rule: the more the
better),
this will boost the I/O.
IBM published on
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/linux390/perf/tuning_rec_dasd.html
on how to set up storage configuration for good performance.

The performance of a PAV with N paths and a striped
volume with N disks is comparable.

Ihno

> Thank you
>
> David K.
>

>              David Boyes
>              <dbo...@sinenomin
>              e.net>                                                     To
>              Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
>              390 Port                                                   cc
>              <linux-...@vm.mar
>              IST.EDU>                                              Subject
>                                        Re: Help with zLinux DASD using
>                                        multiple paths
>              02/23/2009 11:19
>              AM
>

>              Please respond to
>              Linux on 390 Port
>              <linux-...@vm.mar
>                  IST.EDU>
>

> On 2/23/09 11:12 AM, "David K. Kelly" <dkke...@courts.state.va.us> wrote:
>
> > How can I configure multiple paths to a single disk in SUSE zLinux? I
> have
> > 8 paths to our Shark and I¹m running zLinux SUSE 10 in zVM V5.3 on
> > a z9 and I want to configure multiple paths to a single
> > 22.8 GB 3390-27 disk.
>
> Just to be sure, do you want the Linux guest to see multiple exposures to
> the disk? If so, you need the PAV microcode to do that.
>
> If you just want it to exploit the physical paths, give the disk to CP as a
> user volume, allocate the disk as a minidisk in the Linux directory entry,
> and let CP worry about it. If the paths are in your IOCP, CP will
> automagically use them.

> visit

> send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen