>>> On 3/12/2009 at  1:39 PM, Le Grande Valerie <valerie.legra...@sentry.com>
wrote:
-snip-
> In the network parameters that get passed into the starter system, I
> have changed the LAYER2 parameter from N to Y.

If you mean the file that gets re-read by NOVSTART if the network parms on the
191 disk get changed, then you have to do a "touch /unconfigured" command from
Linux, and then reboot the system for that to take effect.  If you haven't done
that, then most likely it is still trying to use Layer 3.

If you mean the parmfile that gets punched to the virtual reader between the
kernel and initrd, that would be "Layer2=1" not "yes" or "no".  One way to make
sure the NIC is being set to use Layer2 is to issue this command from a shell:
cat /sys/bus/ccwgroup/drivers/qeth/0.0.0700/layer2

If the value comes back with a 1, it is Layer 2, otherwise it is Layer 3.

> I get an IDX TERMINATE with cause code 0xf6, which I have read some of
> the archives that said that was a layer2/layer3 mismatch error.

I'm pretty sure that would be a 0x4e error, since I just deliberately caused
that mismatch on one of my test systems to check.

-snip-
> My understanding is that I do not need to have IP addresses associated
> with the OSA ports for the VSWITCH when defined ETHERNET.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.