On 3/18/09 4:44 AM, "Ursula Braun" <ubr...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>> Realistically, is there a reason why ANY error code from an OSA should
> not
>> issue a meaningful message?
> I agree with you. But most of the error codes indicate programming
> errors, which should be reported to us.

I guess I buy that answer to a point. If the driver receives an error code,
then providing some additional context around "Adapter returned: xNNNN"
would be a lot more helpful to you than just a bare error code. Since the
operation of these adapters is a Deep Dark Secret, we could do a lot more to
tell you what happened if you told us the context of the problem, regardless
of the source of the problem.

Example: "Adapter returned: x0a" tells me almost nothing that you would find
useful -- you're going to have to ask me to trace stuff and send you more
details. "Adapter returned: x0A (PORT_NAME_MISMATCH) when initializing
adapter, first use". That tells me something I can use to help you
understand the problem (and maybe solve it myself). You know what the
various codes mean, or you can lean on the hardware guys to find out. Even a
simple enumerated type lookup like the one shown above would be better than
what we have now.