From: Linux on 390 Port [linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Scott Rohling
[scott.rohl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 06:00
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: To kick or to clone ... that is the question

This is a blatant request for discussion about the pros and cons of using an
automated installation (e.g. RH kickstart - Suse autoyast (though maybe this
has changed - I'm not current on Suse) - vs cloning a system from a 'golden
image'...   and I should say:   on zSeries.

I'm a fan of kickstart - and I'll list my reasons in approximate order of
importantance to me (most to least):

- kickstart forces a scripted and recreatable installation.   You specify
the rpm's and can do some limited scripting within the kickstart file itself
to end up with (hopefully) a working Linux system that requires no manual
tweaking (at least - if you do it 'right').  The alternative is a cloned
system that the Linux SA's have been on, and perhaps several other teams -
all performing manual tasks to end up with the final product - all sorts of
shoeprints and no good detectives.  Whereas a kickstart config is
self-documenting - a clone is not.   With good scripting and good use of rpm
packaging for your 'local' or even 'vendor' products - you can end up with a
very KISS config file that might even go multiplatform.  (e.g. arch=`uname
-m` )

- with a proper building of conf and parm files on z/VM - a guest can be
kicked already configured with a working network -- no need for some outside
scripting or manual config.

- you can have different kickstart files for different server 'types' (web,
app, db, etc) - these can even be built dynamically and requested via a URL
to to the kickstart ( e.g.
http://mykicker/kick.web&ip=xx.xx.xx.xx+etc+etc.....)

- The size of the DASD can be flexible..   cloning requires copying the same
size DASD as the source..

-  The latest fixes can be applied by keeping the repository the kickstart
uses current - rather than updating a clone source.  (of course - testing is
still required and would require kickstarting a guest to truly do any
testing - a good thing imo)

-  It encourages packing by rpm rather than manual 'tarball' methods..  this
is in line with a 'recreatable' install.   Yes, you can still do 'tar'
commands in the kickstart file itself..  but specifying an rpm package is oh
so much easier.

-  Servers start 'clean' - ie no old log files from the clone source and no
need to try and script a 'cleanup'

-  No worrying about whether a clone source is 'up' when a new server is
clone and possibly clone a live system

There are downsides..  but I'll leave those to the rest of you to expound
on, since I'm taking a position of 'kickstart good, Jane'

Thanks and hope this is valuable to some ..

Scott