Need to split this into another thread.
See followup posts with the subject "about sharing filesystems".

Here's a little work-in-progress to articulate "how to do it properly" ...

        http://docs.google.com/View?id=dc6n97p5_10gtjp5rzq

To some of your points ...

> /var contains per-system data that cannot be shared. Some of it (rpm
> databases, yum/yast/you/whatever files) that reflect the contents of the
> (shared) /usr and the (per-system) /etc.

The RPM database is just one case.  Where sharing of other filesystems
is in play, one can readily recreate the RPM database.  Or you can
copy it from some master disk.  Or you can redirected it away from
/var (like to a master copy), but my recommendation would be simply to
maintain it (or rebuild it) using multiple references as needed.
Strictly speaking, the RPM DB is not needed for the operation of your
system but only for the maintenance of your system, so the only RPM DB
copy which really needs to be correct is the one on the maint system.

> For example
> glibc - contains files in /usr, /etc and /. /var contains the rpm
> database, so all have to be kept in step, unless you don't want to know
> what is installed.

See above for discussion about /var.  The GLIBC pieces under /etc are
few.  In fact /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf are candidates
for change.  (/etc is the "personality" directory - it must go along
with each system and must be unique unless you want to get even
trickier)  The root and /usr can be kept in synch as part of "the op
sys".  If you choose to have a shared /usr and a writable root, and
you then upgrade or change the master, you have the burden of
reconciling things in the root.  This can be done (but lately I'm in
the shared root camp).

Don't be caught up in what the packaging throws at you.  Know it, yes,
and consider the requirements, but then let your decision be based on
your needs.  If you want to share filesystems, you can!  And you can
still use RPM, but yes, you have to know what RPM is doing.

I'll post a short followup with the subject "about sharing filesystems".