Hi, some good point (sorry, wrong button :)  )
but we do cloning only.
We use SLES10 SP2 for the moment.
It's take some time to get the disksizes right, yes, but that's the
only hook as I see it.
We have the clonebase shutdown all the time when not updating it,
and it is handled only by one or two persons, so it is clean.
For the IP-config, we have set the PFkeys in VM-profile to all
ip-config values (ip=x.x.x.x  type) and read them at boot via
boot.local, and set the ip config before starting the network.
Works great, we can move servers to any subnet/zone just by update
these values and restart the vmuser (Linux reboot will not do).
We have made several scripts for the cloning and it is now a web-based
application that also checks that the clonebase is not logged on and
some more things, accountcode for example.
We use snapshot, so it takes less than two minutes before you can
login to the new server via ssh.
We also have installed WAS on a separate disk, WAS7 can have config
on another path, so that install-disk has been snapshotted to a vmuser
that only owns these disks, and they are shared readonly.
This means just one WAS7 disk and installation, and just a small config
job in each new server. Saves a lot of time and works great.

So we go for cloning.
You could snapshot the disks for a server to a vmuser just owning them
that will make it impossible to have the clonebase online when cloning.

Cordialement / Vriendelijke Groeten / Best Regards / Med Vänliga Hälsningar
 Tore Agblad
      Volvo Information Technology
      Infrastructure Mainframe Design & Development
      SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden
      http://www.volvo.com/volvoit/global/en-gb/