On Monday, 10/26/2009 at 04:21 EDT, "Harder, Pieter"
<pieter.har...@brabantwater.nl> wrote:
> For the finer points of performance measurement I defer to Rob. This is
> highlevel coarse view:
> With a VSWITCH with LACP involved and using two full IFL's with 4 OSA
GbE I
> could barely exceed 100 MB/s with no other activity at all. With the
same 2
> IFL's and 4 OSA dedicated and bonded within Linux I have seen 175 MB/s
with
> other activity going on.

Do you have statistics for packets on each interface in the port group?

If you read "Load Balancing within the Virtual Switch" in the z/VM
Connectivity book, you will discover that load balancing takes place on a
per-"conversation" basis, where a "conversation" is defined as a unique
pairing of (vnic origin MAC, dest MAC).  Since most guests on a VSWITCH
will tending to speak to the same host (the gateway), the destination MAC
can be considered a constant.

Consequently, you will only see the load balancing in action when you have
multiple VNICs in the guest or multiple guests.  This means that a single
virtual NIC on a single guest is still limited to a single OSA, so any
single-guest performance measurement of LACP-enabled VSWITCH can give
misleading results as to the capacity of the VSWITCH as a whole. (Physical
switches have multiple load balancing algorithms to choose from.)

The z/VM Performance Report contains IBM analysis of Link Aggregation.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott