Marcy Cortes wrote:
I keep getting rid of this userid /etc/passwd, and something puts it back.
SLES 10.
How do I make it stop doing that?
Also uucp and ftp.

Bad bad bad.

Consider them documentation. I their shells are set to "/sbin/nologin"
or similar, nobody's going to login with them. Root can su to them, but
if you don't trust root, you know what you are:-)

I the accounts are locked (and I'm sure they are), then nobody else can
su to them.

The document and (in a sense) reserve the UID and GUID their files would
have if they had any (and in some systems, games does). "games" is used
to store scores in pissing contests.

This is on RHEL-clone:
[r...@bobtail ~]# touch /tmp/zink
[r...@bobtail ~]# chown 9999.9999 /tmp/zink
[r...@bobtail ~]# ls -l /tmp/zink
-rw-r--r-- 1 9999 9999 0 Nov  3 10:31 /tmp/zink
[r...@bobtail ~]#

Having those names in /etc/passwd has no implications about ownership of
any files that may be created.

--

Cheers
John