On Tuesday 03 November 2009 12:26, Jack Woehr wrote:
>The length of your post is itself indicative of how much effort is
>required to perform this unnecessary task :)

Actually, the length is only indicative of my tendency to type more than is
necessary.  I reduced your six tasks for Marcy to just two.

And, as many others have pointed out, this task is necessary simply because it
was ordered by those with the authority to assign tasks.  Whether that
necessity is unfortunate or not is another question :-)  But I think I've
shown that it is safe to do this, and rather simple.

>> How is PAM involved in this?  PAM doesn't assign accounts, it is just an
>> authentication layer.  There's nothing to do with PAM.
>
>Methinks pam.conf determines x, y where only (y > uid > x) will be
>created by useradd. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

It's /etc/login.defs where those values are defined.  We don't want to change
those.
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street · Newton, MA 02466-2272 · USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4321
Email: m...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com