My guess is you speak of s390 assembler which "gas" is not. It is more
like UNIX assembler.  A good starting point for you to go to and see if
you REALLY want to venture into this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language

I think you will agree that it lacks the versatility of BAL s390.

Richard (Gaz) Gasiorowski
Global System z Linux Virutalization and Mainframce Services Product
Manager
Americas RPE Portfolio Platform Services
CSC
3170 Fairview Park Dr., Falls Church, VA 22042
845-889-8533|Work|845-392-7889 Cell|rgasi...@csc.com|www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.