ghochrei...@tsys.com wrote:

Hello !
I am an experienced assembler programmer, BUT I do not have any clue how
to write , assemble  etc. in  LINUX  ,   where do I start   ??   Any help
is appreciated . Thanks Gunter

Email             ghochrei...@tsys.com

As you already observed, hardly anybody will encourage you to use
assembler in Linux for System z. It's a Linux thing. I use the GNU
Assembler on my Intel Linux desktop, cross assembling to s390 or s390x
ELF object all the time. If you are running Linux in your shop, you
already have it installed on the mainframe. If you want to try it out on
a Linux desktop it is easy to intall there.

I am not one of the assembler nay-sayers. GNU Assembler is absolutely a
different dialect of mainframe assembler and there will be things you
have to get used to with it. It will cause you to think differently
about your assembler programs, too. Once past that, it is surprisingly
powerful. It has conditional assembly and macros, different than HLASM
of course. If you intend to integrate anything with C, you will want
access to the s390 or s390x ABI's for the mainframe. Google for them.
There is also a SHARE presentation or two on this topic. Check out the
archives.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have here or off list.

Harold Grovesteen

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying,
or unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message. Thank you