If you're using IBM style DASD as your disk storage, you'll want to size the
linux image's memory considerably smaller than what is suggested for an
Intel processor.

The first reason is that you have several levels of cache before the data
even gets to the linux image. These layers (controller, z/VM, mdcache) will
cut the time to retrieve the data, and caching it in linux as well really
won't make anything any faster.

The second reason is that larger images cause more paging on z/VM's part.
The Intel memory suggestion is based on real memory, always available. Since
this is virtual memory, your "in-memory cache" may actually be on disk
anyway, causing a paging read when it is needed. You can actually slow down
the response in an image by making its memory larger, because it will spend
much more time paging.

Finding the right size is a little more tricky. You want to start at some
reasonable value (1G, 2G...), and then cut the image's memory over time
until you notice it just begin to swap. Some people will allow it to do this
minimal swapping, while others will increase the image size enough so that
it doesn't swap at all. It just depends on which expert you choose to listen
to.

At this point, you'll have an image that supports the application running,
but doesn't have enough memory to devote a large amount to caching its disk,
which is exactly where you want to be. You may actually be surprised at how
little memory this really is.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\