sounds familiar >> the book tells them to..

From:
"van Sleeuwen, Berry" <berry.vansleeu...@atosorigin.com>
To:
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:
02/04/2010 08:32 AM
Re: A Question on Sizing z/VM Linux Guests
Sent by:
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

We have some oracle guests that have been set to 1G. And they actually
need only 300M. The rest is occupied in cache (between 650 and 710M).
I'd like to decrease the machines but it is quite hard to convince the
oracle group that the machines do not need the memory. Instead, they
even want to increase to 2G because the books tell them to. While the
documents suggest the oracle will benefit from the increased memory, in
reality VM will page more and the effect is an overall decrease in
performance for all guests.

I would suggest to keep the guest as small as possible. Also try to
limit SGA and such.

Berry.