2010/2/4 van Sleeuwen, Berry <berry.vansleeu...@atosorigin.com>:

> We have some oracle guests that have been set to 1G. And they actually
> need only 300M. The rest is occupied in cache (between 650 and 710M).

Be aware! The Oracle SGA lives in Linux page cache, together with
in-use programs and shared libraries. So on Oracle systems it is
normal to see a large page cache and it is not all waste. The Oracle
instrumentation can tell you how much of the allowed SGA size is
actually being use (and whether that is enough). When the system sees
enough data, it will eventually grow to use all allowed SGA space.
Without access to those metrics, you could write a "1" into the
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches to have Linux drop all other stuff from page
cache. You will see Linux reclaim some of that in a few minutes, and
that might be a good stake in the ground.

> I'd like to decrease the machines but it is quite hard to convince the
> oracle group that the machines do not need the memory. Instead, they
> even want to increase to 2G because the books tell them to. While the
> documents suggest the oracle will benefit from the increased memory, in
> reality VM will page more and the effect is an overall decrease in
> performance for all guests.

You're correct that there is a cost for increasing the virtual machine
size, but there is also a cost for not increasing it. You need to
measure and analyze that. And you have the product that that can help
you understand the cost rather than tune by fear and doubt :-)
There's always a trade-off and your analysis should include the
utilization of the virtual machine. When the server is rarely active,
it may be acceptable when it is less efficient since that reduces the
resource cost when it is idle. But servers that are very busy will
benefit from efficient operation and you're less concerned about the
idle footprint.

> I would suggest to keep the guest as small as possible. Also try to
> limit SGA and such.

Among the "such" is also the PGA as sized by the DBA. That does not
live in page cache but in anonymous memory in Linux (the "used" part
that is not cache).

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij