From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 12:33 PM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] yast procedure for going from SLE-10-s390x-SP2 to
SLE-10-s390x-SP3

>>> On 3/1/2010 at 03:12 PM, "Peter E. Abresch Jr.   - at Pepco"
<peabre...@pepco.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mark, Can I install SMT11 under SLES10? I am not in a position to

No.

> install sles11 at the moment. I have previously upgraded to SP1 and from
> SP1 to SP2 but it has been a while and I do not know the steps that I had
> to take. If yup will not work, what process should I use? Does Novell have
> SLES10-SP2 to SLES10-SP3 upgrade procedures that I can follow?

Yes, but they all involve "down server" upgrades unless you have a correctly
configured update server available.  You could use the official nu.novell.com
web site, but that means everything you update would have to go out over the
Internet.  Alternatively, you could use SMT 1.0, but that isn't available for
System z, so you'd have to use an Intel/AMD box for that.

I suspect installing SLES11 and SMT11 on a new z/VM guest would be a lot
faster, but I don't know why you say you're not in a position to do that.

Mark