From: van Sleeuwen, Berry [mailto:berry.vansleeu...@atosorigin.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 09:45 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Spiking server

Perhaps you can look at the threads for the application. We have a very
small apache that is configured to have only a few childs and threads
within the web server. Granted, it can't service as much threads
simultaneously but the server doesn't abend due to memory problems. So
the users connecting to the server could experience some more delays
during those peaks but usually the server doesn't crash. It does have a
high vdisk IO rate during those peaks.

Did it indeed crash with all swap space exhausted? In that case, maybe
you can consider adding a swapdisk or enlarge an existing one.

Regards, Berry.

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment to it is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete it from
your system.  Thank you.  NYSE Euronext.