>>> On 1/11/2011 at 08:48 AM, Gary Detro <de...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install a SUES 10  and it looses it's network connection
> after a message about "Disabled Privacy Extensions"
>
> Here is the console log from the virtual machine

-snip-
> Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram1 ro init=/linuxrc
> TERM=dumb                    HostIP=172.27.80.22  Hostname=m
> apsrv2.sc.ibm.com                                Gateway=172.27.80.6
> Netmask=255.255.255.0                                       Bro
> adcast=172.27.80.255 Layer2=0

What happens if you use the default parmfile?  (That is, just the first line)

-snip-
> qdio: loading QDIO base support version 2
> qeth: loading qeth S/390 OSA-Express driver
> IUCV lowlevel driver initialized
>  iucv: NETIUCV driver initialized
> qeth: Device 0.0.4220/0.0.4221/0.0.4222 is a Guest LAN QDIO card (level:
> V611)
> with link type GuestLAN QDIO (portname: fedcloud)
> qeth: Hardware IP fragmentation not supported on eth0
> qeth: VLAN enabled
> qeth: Multicast enabled
> qeth: IPV6 enabled
> qeth: Broadcast enabled
> qeth: Using SW checksumming on eth0.
> qeth: Outbound TSO not supported on eth0
> sit0: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>
> *** Could not find the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Installation
> Source.
>
> Activating manual setup program.

Is virtual NIC 4220 the one you want to use?
Is there really a portname specified on the Guest LAN?

> Main Menu
>
> 1) Settings
> 2) System Information
> 3) Kernel Modules (Hardware Drivers)
> 4) Start Installation or System
> 5) Verify Installation CD-ROM/DVD
> 6) Eject CD
> 7) Exit or Reboot
> 8) Power off

At this point, if you enter an X, you'll be prompted with a list of things, one
of which is "start a shell."  If you do that, verify that your network
configuration has really been activated properly.  Try to ping your default
gateway, etc.

Does anything change if you boot that same virtual machine with a SLES10 SP3
installation kernel and initrd?