Hi, Rachel.

I would be a little reluctant to recommend to a client that they run an
anti-virus software package on z/Linux on the mainframe. Yes, modern
z10-z196 IFL engines are much faster these days and these system excel
at large chunks of data around, but for a specialized task such as virus
scanning, I think it's better performed on a dedicated platform.

If your management insists on running a virus scanner on the mainframe,
I would suggest that you set up only one instance of z/Linux to run the
scanner, with it's own vswitch to connect to the real OSA cards, and
then have all of the other Linux guests connect to that guest via their
own, separate vswitch LAN. You could also have the scanner z/Linux
instance act as a firewall as well.

There is absolutely no justification, imho, for requiring that a virus
scanner application be run in *each* z/Linux guest. That would prove to
be, I think, a monumental waste of hardware resources.

Good luck.

DJ

--
Dave Jones