From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Bill
Holder
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 11:20 AM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] z/VM page space

> I'm curious about why CP would write pages immediately after IPL?   At
that
> point, there is likely sufficient memory and paging isn't needed..  so
why
> not wait until it is?   I'm sure there's a good explanation - just
> wondering...
>
> Scott Rohling

I can't really speak for how good the explanation really is, but I know of
several
cases where we're basically saving "for later" some data that will only
needed in
unexpected / exceptional circumstances and that needn't be kept resident.
If we
were writing such code anew these days, we might instead choose to put such
data
in a pageable virtual CP utility space, and leave it sitting there, to be
paged
out only if/when there is actual need (that's exactly how the Virtual Free
Storage space I mentioned works) - but there is plenty of code which long
predates such pageable CP utility spaces, that page things out explicitly
rather
than waiting for demand.  And as always, if there's old code that isn't
broken
or getting in the way of new design changes, we're unlikely to change it,
even
if newer and better methods now exist - the usual cost / benefit / risk
trade
offs.

- Bill

Bill Holder, Senior Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development, Memory Management, Endicott, NY
Phone:  607-429-3640        IBM TieLine: 620-3640