>>> On 11/3/2011 at 10:32 AM, Lionel Dyck <lionel.d...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> After reading this
> http://www.mainframezone.com/it-management/linux-on-system-z-choices-in-file
> -systems
>

> Has anyone heard what SUSE's plans are to provide an alternative within
> the SLES distribution?

There is no need to provide an alternative.  Some comments from our people
intimately familiar with this:
- OCFS2 is _not_ going away!
- SUSE is committed to support OCFS2 as the open source cluster file system of
choice on all SUSE Linux Enterprise architectures, System z prominently amongst
them.
- ... since OCFS2 is upstream, there's no way Oracle can hold back work to UBL.
(Unbreakable Linux)
- SUSE supports OCFS2
- SUSE has no plans to stop the support for OCFS in SUSE Linux Enterprise High
Available Extension
- SUSE supports OCFS2 on all SUSE Linux Enterprise Architectures, certainly
including IBM System z
- SUSE has our own resources working on OCFS2; independent of what Oracle is
doing

And to repeat what I said on October 12:
Oracle doesn't provide support to end customers of anyone except themselves.
The distribution providers do that, or in the case of System z, IBM might.
Both OCFS2 and the ocfs2-tools are GPL licensed, hence the source is pretty
easily obtained.  Including that of ocfs-tools 1.6.4, which I just checked.

Plus, Oracle employees aren't the only ones developing OCFS2.  That's one of
the major benefits of getting your code into the main kernel tree.  Other
people can and do hack on it.

The other thing to remember is that version numbers on packages in Enterprise
Linux distributions has little relationship to what features are included in
the package.  Back porting of features is very common, and OCFS2 is no
exception.