Found it to be /var/ftp.  Copied the SLES11SP2 .iso file to /var/ftp/pub,
verified that it's reachable via anonymous ftp from a Windows box, then tried
almost every permutation of the install path according to the format suggested
by Dave Jones; all failed in the same familiar way.  The only variant I didn't
try was putting colons as "placeholders", in case the install path is parsed
strictly looking for "positional" parameters that were omitted (like
user:password, which should cause an anonymous login to the ftp server).

I'm done for today.  I'll install/configure an http server on the laptop (any
suggestions?) and try that next week.  I'll also bone up on the z/VM equivalent
for CTRACE, so I can try to see if anything is even "leaving" the SLES install
program looking for anything across the network.  I know I can ping the laptop
from SLES install, so it does have the needed network access.

    -jc-

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.