> Our issue is that z/VM and the zLinux guests have to be up
> and the npiv channel logged in before the new NPIV WWPN
> can be zoned from the SAN side.

I've heard this before and am not sure it's strictly true.

> At least this is my understanding with EMC storage.

The server side (whether z/VM or zLinux or something else) has to be
"up" and must have initiated a fabric login for convenience tools to
"see" them. Makes sense: they come online, the storage side sees the
traffic, it gets more WWPNs to make note of. Call it discovery mode.

Difficult to believe the storage side truly cannot be pre-populated
with the new WWPNs. More likely it is a hassle, outside the scope of
what your storage guys have done up to now. But it's KIND OF IMPORTANT
that they find and use the pre-pop feature on their end. It's a
question of scalability. (Not just a speed bump for you. They too
would be up all night long zoning and masking LUNs if they can't
script it ahead of time.)

My experience was with EMC and my storage team made it work.
Pre-loading transition WWPNs was outside their day-to-day work, but
System z was far from the only server platform stretching them.

Again, it will probably HELP your storage guys to be able to pre-enter
the new WWPNs. How many are in use now? If just a half dozen, then not
worth the trouble. But some z/VM and zLinux have literally hundreds,
even thousands, of WWPN and LUN pairs to punch.

--
-- R;
Rick Troth