Am Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:21:00 -0700
schrieb "Mark Post" <mp...@suse.com>:

> > So if we can't pre-stage our NPIV definitions, this will
> > significantly increase the cutover time from the Z10 to the EC12.
> > We have about 60 servers with about 600 LUNs.  With other sites
> > having hundreds of guests, I would think there would be a better
> > way to do this.  We have done cpu migrations in the past but this
> > is the first time z/VM and NPIV have been involved.
> >
> > Chris Will
>
> You would think so, I agree.  Unfortunately, after talking with many
> people over time at places like SHARE, etc., there doesn't seem to
> be.  Things like IBM's SAN Volume Controller seem to make things
> somewhat easier, but not as easy as it should be.  (I don't have any
> personal experience with the SVC, so I could be overly pessimistic
> here.)  I and several other people see a potentially large
> opportunity for some ISV to provide a SAN/LUN
> discovery/inventory/management tool to make a lot of things easier,
> including CPU migrations.  Considering how hard IBM pushes customers
> to upgrade to new CPUs when they're announced, this is a rather large
> speed bump to run into.
>

> Mark Post

I recently did such a migration. The way I proceeded, was as follows:

1) setup the new EC12, including IOCDS
2) retrieve the list of NPIV numbers from the HMC
3) add the new numbers to the host connections on the storage
4) setup the zoning for all the new NPIV adapters

After this, all machines found their respective disks when we migrated,
and I just had to do some cleanup when the migration was done.

Note, that I heard that there should also be some kind of prediction
tool from IBM, however I have never seen this. If you have access to
such a tool, you may even start configuring before the new machine is in
place.

Berthold Gunreben

 Berthold Gunreben                                  Build Service Team
 http://www.suse.de/                                     Maxfeldstr. 5
 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH                   D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
 GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer
 HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)