I keep on wanting to add something to this great conversation - but IMHO
the important points are being made - so, to satisfy my desire, I'll just
comment a bit on the fringe -

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> > OK, dumb question of the day.    It's linux right?  Why would you keep
> one of
> > those machines for Linux when you could go down to best buy and get
> > something with more horsepower?
> > Unless you lost the source code or something...
>
> Short answer: by now, the H30/H50 is almost always completely paid for,
> doesn't require any additional extra space or power, doesn't imply
> increases to MLC and software charges, and adding Linux applications to it
> adds value to the machine, and is another reason to prevent/avoid an
> expensive migration process that likely as not won't improve their business
> or operations (in almost every case, the non-IBM replacements for their VM
> or VSE-based systems are less reliable and less functional). Many of these
> customers have long term 3rd party hardware support contracts, and any
> change in the hardware to modern IBM gear would be dramatically more
> expensive. Many of these customers also still have internal DASD in the
> MP3Ks, and can't afford moving to external disk. IBM also really doesn't
> have much to offer these customers; was trying to help a IBMer with a
> customer like this in rural Louisiana who wanted to migrate of a H50, but
> couldn't -- every option IBM possessed cost at least 3 times what they were
> paying in MLC charges, even hosting the whole mess on IBM-owned gear in a
> SO center. A zPDT would have been an awesome solution for them -- but they
> couldn't qualify.
>
> These are SMALL customers (obviously, if they can continue to live on
> H30/H50 hardware) -- school districts, little manufacturing companies,
> small cities/towns, that kind of customer.

  I've dealt with some of these - small and outside major metropolitan
areas - where skilled personnel are rare and really hard to find, let alone
afford. Worse than that, the need may be for only 1 FTE, but consistingof
hardware, OS, communication, infrastructure and application software, ...,
skills that seldom, if ever can be found in one person.

> They have zero margins, and zero upgrade money. If they can continue to
> get more out of what they have (and improve services -- example case: the
> z/VM 4.4 SSL server could only serve 200 connections. Period. A Linux-based
> SSL server could handle close to 900 on the same iron), then they win AND
> they stay on IBM technology and keep paying those MLC bills month after
> month.

  So even though a few bare linux servers (one can put together an awesome
linux box from under $500 in parts from Newegg - whoops - that requires a
few more skills) could give a fantastic cost/benefit ratio from that piece
of the puzzle, David and others are rightly looking at the entire puzzle in
a real context.

--henry schaffer