From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike
Walter
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 11:09 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: cio_ignore vs Linux in System z

The cio_ignore table within Linux (at least in RHEL6.5) is used to restrict
access devices, both real and virtual.  Being new the Linux on System z, this
has become an occasional stumbling block for our Linux admins; when we z/VM
sysprogs attach a new virtual or real device and the guest cannot see it
immediately.

I'm told that on distributed x86 (at least x86 here), the servers can see all
the hardware.  Is there a good reason that on Linux on System z the default is
to prevent access to all devices unless they are manually removed from the
cio_ignore table?   I understand that an authorized user could attach a wrong
device to a zLinux guest, so let's accept that risk as having been minimized.
Are there  other reasons to prevent every guest from accessing whatever devices
are given to it?

Thanks!

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not necessarily those of my
employer.

FWIW, I subscribe in digest mode - so my responses may be slightly delayed.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/
privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.