>>> On 1/12/2015 at 12:13 PM, "Cohen, Sam" <sam.co...@lrs.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> This is a RedHat "feature"; it isn't an issue with SuSE.  It is an

SUSE, please.  (It's been 11 years now.)

> implementation choice by the distributor.

Beginning with SLES12, a feature request from IBM means that (by _changeable_
default), cio_ignore=all,!ipldev,!condev will be added to the kernel parms at
install time.  As others have indicated this is primarily intended for LPAR
installs.  I personally see no significant benefit to using it in a virtual
machine, whether z/VM or KVM.  It does provide a very noticeable speed up in
booting an LPAR with even a relatively small number of devices defined.

This will almost certainly be included in SLES11 SP4 as well.  You can avoid
the problems/confusion it causes by setting "blacklisting of devices" to off
during the install process.  Either way, it can be easily turned on or off
afterward.