Indeed, as pointed out by other folks this "feature" was introduced in our
very early days, when clients started to install Linux into LPARs with
possibly tens of thousands of devices they would need if IPLing z/OS into
it. Not only did it take long to boot, but we initially only operated on
the first 1024 devices found, and didn't have plugging rules yet. And other
z/OS holding permanent RESERVEs on shared ECKD devices it owned didn't help
much either. We'd discussed whether to introduce black lists or white lists
addressing the challenges at hand and eventually implemented both.

Much has changed since then and whether it should be a default or not is a
valid discussion to have. You may consider it paranoia but its introduction
served a purpose - and still does. If running under z/VM and/or if using
Linux in LPAR with your IODF written in a way that only devices the LPAR is
supposed to operate on are configured to it you can presumably safely turn
it off.

Best regards
Ingo

   Ingo Adlung                        IBM Deutschland Research &
   IBM Distinguished Engineer         Development GmbH
   Chief Architect, System z          Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
   Virtualization & Linux             Martina Koederitz
   mail: adl...@de.ibm.com            Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
   phone: +49-7031-16-4263            Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen
                                      Registergericht: Amtsgericht
                                      Stuttgart, HRB 243294