Thanks, Sam, Jay, Jim, Harley, and Mark (and anyone else who may have replied
since I looked at the log),

There are no LPAR-only Linux servers running here, only those running (RHEL)
under z/VM.  I suspected that cio_ignore was something related to security
(perhaps an auditor fearing that an errant z/VM sysprog might attach a wrong
device address to a guest, or poor security rules coupled with use of VMCP
would let the wrong Linux user access the wrong devices), or performance.  It
appears that the performance issue was the culprit, but not one of concern for
me with only z/VM guests.

I've shared the suggestions with our zLinux admins, who will probably make
dynamic updates for the few PoC guests currently running, and the next Golden
Image(s).

Have to love this list, thanks again!

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not necessarily those of my
employer.