On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 19:33:11 -0800
Scott Rohling <scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find that the Linux install under z/VM on a new z has the same
> issue ... you need an existing install server (not on the z) to do an
> install of the DVD image or install directories.   Once you have one
> built you can turn it into your new install server -- but until then
> you're stuck trying to network to an external (from the z) server.
> Or... am I hopelessly behind and not aware of current solutions?
> (happens more and more often as I approach senility)   A Linux
> minidisk image (PIPEDDR, whatever)  setup as an install server would
> be great -- but are the distributors willing to provide this?

Just two weeks ago, we managed to build SUSE Manager as appliance for
EDEV in our build service. This includes an installation server as well
as system management.
What you could do with that is just dumping the appliance image to a
Fibre Channel disk and then boot it as emulated DASD from z/VM.

If you are interested, please contact me off the list.

> I guess I'm asking:   is there a distributor solution for bare
> hardware that doesn't require network access to some other box?   My
> impression is no..

Well, I don't know if the distributors are aware of all the different
issues that are around. You might want to ask for specific features,
and if this comes from a customer and not just from internal staff, it
might come in some service pack or new major release.

Berthold

 Berthold Gunreben                                  Build Service Team
 http://www.suse.de/                                     Maxfeldstr. 5
 SUSE LINUX GmbH                            D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
 GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
Graham Norton HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)