>>> On 2/5/2015 at 01:30 PM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I think it's because we are very afraid of telling people what to do.  I

Hah!  Tell Chuckie that was a good one.

> think if we had to start all over again, I would vote for exactly two ways
> to install in an LPAR:
>
> 1.  Boot (load) from removable media or FTP server and install from the
> same source (needs that new device driver!!).  The DVD is in the HMC drive
> or loaded on my laptop with an FTP server :-).

If the driver had been available 15 years ago, things would be very different.
But, it still is not, so...

> 2.  Boot from SCSI and install from the boot device (needs 'install from
> directory'!!).   That could be physical DVD:or contents copied to a SAN
> disk.
>
> This avoids what I like to call the"Installation Two-Step."   No need to
> try to loop out-of-band back to the media.

For most sites, asking them to use SCSI over FCP is problematic at best.  Since
z/OS doesn't talk SCSI, there's not a lot of skills there to make it work.
Heck, even our z/VM using customers have some problems with it.  Good for
selling consulting services I guess, but not a real popular idea for sites that
don't want to spend money on that.