I find that the Linux install under z/VM on a new z has the same issue ...
  you need an existing install server (not on the z) to do an install of
the DVD image or install directories.   Once you have one built you can
turn it into your new install server -- but until then you're stuck trying
to network to an external (from the z) server.    Or... am I hopelessly
behind and not aware of current solutions?  (happens more and more often as
I approach senility)   A Linux minidisk image (PIPEDDR, whatever)  setup as
an install server would be great -- but are the distributors willing to
provide this?

I guess I'm asking:   is there a distributor solution for bare hardware
that doesn't require network access to some other box?   My impression is
no..

Scott Rohling