Thanks Mark. That is more or less what I thought. BTW I only just noticed that
the IBM-speak in the SOD in the z13 announcement said 'IBM intends to
**support** a Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) offering for z Systems' (my
highlighting). ie 'support' not 'deliver'.
Keith

     On Monday, 16 February 2015, 18:04, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:

 >>> On 2/16/2015 at 12:40 PM, Keith Gooding <kw...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone help resolve this difference of opinion with colleagues ?
>
>  I have always assumed from what I have read that the QEMU and KVM, offered
> as a 'technology preview' in for instance SUSE 11 SP3 or SUSE 12 will only
> run zLinux guests and its purpose is to provide an alternative to z/VM (some
> day). Colleages say that it will emulate Intel so that you will be able to
> run x386_64 Linux guests. Who is correct (maybe both ?).

While qemu is _capable_ of emulating other architectures, that's not how we
build it or ship it.  The intent is not to provide an alternative to z/VM,
however.  The intent is to help new-to-the-mainframe customers get started with
virtualization on the platform using a tool they probably already know pretty
well.  Lowering the barriers to entry in order to help convince them that
mainframes really are a good idea.  I envision people using KVM on System z
eventually deciding they want to upgrade to z/VM for the better capabilities
and manageability it provides.

> Also does anyone have any guesses about IBMs Statement of Direction about
> KVM that was in the z13 announcement. Will it be z13 only ?.  An IBM product
> like z/VM ?. Will it emulate Intel ?

My pure, unadulterated, WAG is that it will be z13 (or later) only, a priced
IBM product, and that it will not emulate Intel.  That just feels how IBM would
approach things given their history.