>>> On 2/17/2015 at 02:07 AM, "Pavelka, Tomas" <tomas.pave...@ca.com> wrote:
> Could you elaborate on what are the most important things that z/VM provides
> that KVM does not? I occasionally get questions from people that heard
> somewhere that KVM will replace z/VM on the mainframe but can't give answers
> because I don't really know anything about KVM.

Berthold gave a decent list of items.  I would add to that
- More dynamic capabilities, even for non-privileged guests.  I can't count the
number of times I wanted to add a device to a KVM guest and had to wait until
it was shutdown and restarted before I could use it.
- Better sharing capabilities
- Really good performance data collection
- Better isolation/separation of guests
- Better over-commit of resources
- CP Privilege classes
- External Security Manager (ESM) interface(s)
- DCSS
- xip2fs
- Named Saved Systems
- CP USER DIRECT is a lot easier for a human to parse than KVM's XML files.

But in large part, z/VM is "better" because of the ISV ecosystem around it.
There are a huge number of management tools out there for z/VM (which can also
be a problem for shops to figure out which are the ones they want).  Being so
new, KVM really has nothing like that.  I like libvirt, but it also is not yet
very mature.  VMware is the dominant hypervisor in the distributed world, and
will likely remain so for some time.  A big part of that are the management
tools that VMware creates.  In the mainframe world, z/VM is the same way, but
from a multiplicity of vendors, not just IBM.

I'm sure other people could add a lot of items to this list, since I just
rattled this off from the top of my head.  I like KVM and think it's cool.
SUSE uses it for our internal Build Service for System z, which is for us a
mission critical application.  I'm just not ready to recommend it to customers
for _their_ business critical workload because it hasn't been used in the "real
world" enough yet.