On Tuesday, 02/17/2015 at 07:10 EST, Berthold Gunreben <b...@suse.de> wrote:
> There are some advantages to KVM on System z too:
> - Network bond balance-rr to have shared network devices and high
> availability network (active-passive does not count as highly
> available network for certain external switches).

(cough) Why would you classify balance-rr as an 'advantage', Berthold?
That's a primitive per-packet (subject to packets_per_slave) round robin
distribution. a truly horrible idea since in an HA environment those two
adapters go to different switches.  All you're doing is increasing the
risk of out-of-order packet arrival at the destination, burning CPU time
to reassemble the TCP segments and delays segment delivery to the socket
(app).

At least use balance-xor so that the assignment to an adapter is made
based on MAC address and is persistent unless there's a failure.   Add
xmit_hash_policy layer3+4 and you have winner.  (You really want layer3+4,
but you can't use it with balance-rr.)

But these days there's really no excuse for not using IEEE 802.3ad.   It's
standard on a switch of any reasonable vintage, and these days they all
include support for multi-switch port groups (aka "virtual chassis").

MVS has per-packet load balancing, too.  It was abandoned in favor of
per-TCP session distribution (layer3+4).

Since data queued on a virtual NIC is immediately copied into CP and the
guest QDIO queues cleared, multiple NICs to the same VSWITCH (and VLAN)
serve only to spend more CPU time getting the data to the same place (an
outbound OSA queue).   IEEE 802.3ad takes are of distributing that traffic
among the OSAs in the port group.

And one related cautionary note:   I recently learned that you shouldn't
put unbonded adapters on the same subnet without doing your homework.  By
default, Linux will consolidate all traffic onto just one of those
adapters, it having all of the same-subnet IP addresses consolidated onto
it.  (Very odd when you see QUERY VSWITCH DETAILS output showing adapters
with no IP addresses and others with more than one!)    I'm not really
sure *why* Linux does that, but I'm guessing that it's an x86 thing.   Or,
it could just be to annoy me.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323