From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan
Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 11:47 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: zVM/Linux Upgrade

On Wednesday, 05/06/2015 at 11:30 EDT, "Dazzo, Matt" <mda...@pch.com>
wrote:
> My upgrade/install of 6.3 from 6.1 is complete, first time yea!.
Checking on
> the service level I noticed that the new 6.3 system is at 1501 but my
6.3
> install DVD states 6.3 with RSU6304. So I though the 6304 service would
have
> gone on with the install? Question is, do I try to install the service
off the
> DVD or pull from shop zseries? I have searched all over for instructions
on how
> to install the service from the DVD and can't find it anywhere, any help
there?

>From the "Plan your DVD Installation" part of the Installation Guide:  "
Installation will install the RSU shipped as part of the z/VM product DVD.
If additional service is
required, install the additional service after your initial installation
is complete."

And if you look at http://www.vm.ibm.com/service/rsu/stk630.html, you will
see that RSU6304 contains service level 1501.   RSUs are containers that
hold service level upgrades.  The various components may be at different
service levels within the RSU.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323