On Tuesday, 06/16/2015 at 12:50 EDT, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:
> > Neither z/VM nor Linux have to specify a portname (real or virtual). I
> > recommend that you do NOT specify the portname.
> >
> > I don't understand why the distros still worry about the portname.  We
got
> > rid of the requirement for z/VM and Linux on the z900 and z800 back in
> > 2003.  Just issue a msg that it's obsolete and ignore it.
>
> Even for Linux in an LPAR sharing an OSA with a z/OS system that is
specifying
> (their equivalent of) a portname?

Yes, even then.  You can google "OSA portname relief".  I've posted this a
few times, from October 2003:

An OSA-Express microcode update for the IBM zSeries z800 and z900 machines
became  available today that makes the portname optional for the
OSA-Express in QDIO mode.  The update is Driver 3G - EC stream J11204,
MCL032 (OSA level 3.33).

This is a functional change that has already been made for the z990 and is
now backfitted to earlier hardware levels.

z/VM has released two APARs in support of these changes at the z/VM 4.3.0
level (these were already included in the z/VM 4.4.0 base):
    VM63308 - PORTNAME relief for z/VM Guest LAN
    PQ73878 - VM TCP/IP exploitation of PORTNAME relief

If you are using real OSA-Express devices in QDIO mode and have the
hardware update applied, the PORTNAME is no longer required when
configuring OSD devices.  For compatibility, OSA-Express will permit
activation with or without a PORTNAME.

For the z/VM Guest LAN environment with VM63308 applied, the portname
specification is also optional.

Prior to this change, if you were sharing an OSA-Express, you needed to
configure matching names for all shared devices.  If a mismatch occurred,
activation would fail.  Now you can omit the portname.

The "June 2003" Linux distribution also contains support for portname
relief.  The portname is still required for z/OS.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323