I agree with Mark ..  from everything I've read in these threads and
documentation - the 'safest' course is to not specify the portname - and
there is no downside to not specifying it but can be to having it specified
--  so have the driver ignore any configuration that attempts to specify
it.   Then remove it from distro doc and config panels.   As long as you
'can' use the driver to update it...  I don't see the why the distros
should 'hide' it or try to explain you should really leave this parm alone
when the driver fully supports updating it.   This one's on IBM to deal
with first, imho.  Let's make our driver eliminate future
failure/confusion.   I'm sure there are arguments for providing 'full
functionality' - but I prefer we keep the foot wound safety on until
someone can provide a meaningful use for this field someday if ever.

Scott Rohling