> wrote:
>> > Neither z/VM nor Linux have to specify a portname (real or virtual). I
>> > recommend that you do NOT specify the portname.
>> >
>> > I don't understand why the distros still worry about the portname.  We
> got
>> > rid of the requirement for z/VM and Linux on the z900 and z800 back in
>> > 2003.  Just issue a msg that it's obsolete and ignore it.
>>
>> Even for Linux in an LPAR sharing an OSA with a z/OS system that is
> specifying
>> (their equivalent of) a portname?
>
> Yes, even then.  You can google "OSA portname relief".

OK then.  I'm going to open up a bug with IBM to either remove that attribute
from the driver, or make it read-only in sysfs.  Preferably removing it
altogether since it can only cause problems by being present.

Looking at the results of my Google searches, I can see why I never made the
complete connection.  There were always statements made about z/OS requiring
the parameter, and "if you specify it in Linux it has to match."  Looking at it
now, I understand what was meant.  Back then it meant (to me and apparently
others) "if you're sharing an OSA you need to specify the same portname as z/OS
is using."