On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:53:08 EST
Martha McConaghy <u...@vm.marist.edu> wrote:

> Actually, I did do a VM install to get a running RHEL 7 system they
> could play with.  However, the project they are working on involves
> adapting software that currently runs in an appliance to be installed
> into an LPAR.  Its been tough because these guys have next to no
> Linux skills at all.  So, besides giving them a running RHEL 7 system
> to play with, myself and a colleague have been trying to educate them
> on how LPARs and HMCs work in general.

You might want to have a look at kiwi (which is available with SLES).
This gives you the possibility to actually build appliances not only
for SLES, but also for RHEL.

It is possible to build appliances for both, zFCP and DASD. You only
have to dump the image to disk and bootup.

At SUSE, we even have our build service worker appliance (the system
that really builds packages on mainframe) setup as kiwi appliance that
is deployed on LPAR by just doing a load via snipl.

I have done a live presentation once that did an introduction, building
a wordpress appliance, and deployment to LPAR within 45 minutes...

Berthold

 Berthold Gunreben                                  Build Service Team
 http://www.suse.de/                                     Maxfeldstr. 5
 SUSE Linux GmbH, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)