On Friday, 01/22/2016 at 10:29 GMT, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> We do other necessary stuff from CMS.  Mainly checking of where we are
and
> writing various parms that a linux boot script uses to configure IP,
hostname,
> etc.

I am wondering if people are looking at using persistent DHCP for this. To
make it work you have to use layer 2 VSWITCHes and you have to manage
MACIDs on the NICDEFs.   Your automation tools have to "manufacture" a new
MACID for every new NICDEF and put it there or on COMMAND DEFINE NIC.
(I've created such automation for DIRMAINT.)

It means that the network people can operate the DHCP server, whether its
onboard as a Linux guest or outboard, and take responsibility for changing
things (home, DR, IP changes, etc.)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323