We create a user in the VM directory called '191USER' who's sole purpose is
to be a container for Linux system 191 A disks that get shared read only.
This allows us to keep all the CMS PROFILE EXEC automation in one place and
have it shared by all the Linux systems that need it. Since it is owned by
a regular user, not a Identity, systems LINKed to it are eligible for LGR.

Our shared profile does the following:
  runs MKSWAP,
  checks whether the Linux boot device actually exists,
  SMSGs to automation tools for keeping track of what's going on,
  detaches all CMS disks ( 190, 192-19F ),
  and then IPLs the Linux volume.

The 191 disk for the guest is a LINK to 191USER's ZZZ disk - where ZZZ is
more or less a version number of the PROFILE that resides there. This
allows multiple versions of PROFILE EXEC for 'special snowflake' systems
that require it, without having to manage files for every Linux system.
It's also handy if you want to use CMSFUSE to let Linux read CMS files and
do it's own configuration during init. ( think Cheap and Easy Cloud
Infrastructure as a Service )

We have tried out the DHCP static address thing too - it is actually quite
neat, and can permit some nifty stuff if you also couple it with Dynamic
DNS updates to coordinate the GUEST name with the IP address and the
Hostname - but it requires some 'newish' technology in DNS land and very
very close cooperation with the network team to make it legit so you don't
get all fired and stuff.

--
Jay Brenneman