On Thursday, 01/05/2017 at 10:06 GMT, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:
> >> On 1/5/2017 at 04:35 PM, "Hamilton, Robert" <rhamil...@cas.org>
wrote:
> > So....hardware problem? I don't know whether this DVD drive has been
used
> > since the z114 was installed. What's the MTBF for something you don't
use?

> It's beginning to sound that way.  If you know for a fact that there is
a DVD in the reader, but
> the "Access to Removable Media" dialog says there isn't, then it's
probably time for a call to IBM
> hardware support.

I am inclined to agree with you, Mark.  The fact that the HMC is getting
errors trying to read the DVD is not good.  That could be due to back
level HMC code, depending on the file system format on the DVD.

Years ago there used to be an FTP server in the HMC.  No longer, not in
any useful way.  If it's still there, flaming hoops are needed to turn it
back on, and very little documentation remains, if any.  Frankly, we don't
want you using the HMC as a file server in that way.

When you boot an LPAR using "Load from Removable Media or Server", the
chosen medium or (remote) FTP server connection is bound to that LPAR
until you manually release it or you re-activate the LPAR (maybe just
re-IPL, I don't remember).  The SE loads the memory images (pointed to by
.INS file) into the LPAR does a SYSTEM RESTART.   That code starts running
and uses internal machine interfaces to continue reading files from the
DVD or FTP server.  (The LPAR can't tell the difference.)

If you load from FTP server and point to z/VM, the z/VM FTP server can
read the HMC external media if you give the LPAR access to "Mass Media".
This is how you could install Linux in an LPAR before Linux and the
distros changed the install process to use the internal machine interfaces
mentioned above.

Please note that the media are the those installed in the HMC itself.  You
cannot use the web interface along with the your own PC's media (but it
sure would be nice!).

If you want to use your PC's DVD drive, you need to
a) Set up an FTP server on your PC
b) Create a VPN connection between your PC and the private HMC-SE LAN.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323