We used EDEVICE's for 15 years, tired of that. :-)  Seriously the large
EDEVICEs with many zLinux OS disks per device was a bottleneck.  We
never moved '/var' off so log backups (often for a bunch of systems at
once) and Linux backups were both having really high wait times on
EDEVs, with 1 I/O at a time per EDEVICE I guess no surprise.  On top of
that we have really bad SAN performance during backup windows for a VERY
long time (6-8 months).

Maybe our EDEV's were too large and with too many servers per each, and
certainly the servers could have been placed on them more randomly, but
when the Linux SA's decided to up the OS disk allocation from 20G for
SLES11 to 60G for SLES12 the thinking was we would need even larger
EDEV's causing even more contention.

Now we're learning that NPIV would be an important thing to have for a
pure LUN based implementation, but alas, hard to implement down the road
like this.  If this proves to be too difficult we might go back to EDEV,
we're just starting with this project.

I don't know what all went in to the decision to not do NPIV, but the
limitation on login's may have been a factor.  But we certainly have
seen cases where someone has picked up the wrong LUN, and fortunately
DIDN'T USE IT, but still, the other server couldn't come up because it's
LUN was stolen.

Anyway, I'm the VM guy, and there are a lot of good tips here, but I'll
need to see what our Linux guys want to do.  Maybe the SLES12-SP3 clone
fixer thing would do, sounds like it would.

Alan, so don't share the PCHPID b/c say 1803 could be attached to two
servers at once?  Problem is that we have a spare ficon to the SAN with
very little on it and we maybe could change it to NPIV and migrate
gradually, but with two production LPARS we would have to share that new
NPIV'd channel at least until we can free the other one to change to NPIV.

Another thing we haven't really figured out is COOP, similar situation
there, we'll have a LUN that is a copy, but how do we get the Linux
guest to happily use it.  That was easier with EDEV b/c we could get the
system up and fix the multipath config and whatever else they were doing
to get SLES11 to work.