On Friday, 09/08/2017 at 05:14 GMT, canzon...@verizon.net wrote:
> I'm a proponent of NPIV.  But, limitations on how many NPIV wwpns can
connect
> to a SAN storage unit is a big problem.  Am I right that only 64 allowed
with
> z14 per channel?  With that rate, we ran out of slots for FICON cards.

Assuming FICON-Expresss 16/16S+, yes, 64 virtual machine per port.  Since
there are two ports per card, each card can support 128 virtual machines.
But each guest needs access to 2 ports for HA, so that means 2 features
(cards) per 128 virtual machines.

How many virtual machines do you have on one CPC?!?

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323