From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill
Bitner
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 9:54 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: RHEL 6.9 servers getting Unknown program exception: 0028 SMP

[External Content] Please use caution.

Rick, Terri, Greg, and others, apologies I should have given out the PTF
numbers and a little more background on my earlier append.

APAR VM65396 PTF UM34851 is the one that introduced the prog check problem.
We discovered the problem February 26th, and marked VM65396 in error on March
1st with VM65414 the PE fix to it. The correction to that error is included in
APAR VM65414 PTF UM34853, which closed on March 23rd.  For other reasons, both
of these APARs are Security/Integrity APARs, so see my earlier append on the
IBM Z Security portal.

However, the functional problem, other than being introduced by VM65396, is not
connected to the security/integrity aspects of these APARs. The functional
problem is related to a virtual processor coming out of SIE for a fast path
operation, as opposed to the typical normal exit from SIE. (For those
unfamiliar with SIE, think of it as dispatching or running a virtual
processor). Fast path exits are far more prevalent in a CMS environment than in
other guest operating systems, but it is possible. In all cases, fast path
exits are a subset, mostly a very small subset, of all exits.
There is a scenario where taking the fast path exit can erroneously cause z/VM
to present the 028 program check. The error further involves the upper part of
a register not being cleared. If this register's upper half contains zeroes, it
would not trigger the error condition, but over time, it appears the upper half
changes and the program checks start appearing.
So from that perspective it's a timing/workload dependent problem. This is a
simplification, but I hope it's enough for you to appreciate the aspects you
need to be aware.

The real solution is to apply VM65414's PTF which is available. A mitigation
would be to do a CP TRACE PROG 28 NOTERM NOPRINT RUN for the virtual machines
through the console or if logged off and on, through a directory command
statement.

Thank you for understanding the communication challenges in this space. I'm
sure you'll let us know if you need more info. :-)

Regards,
Bill

Bill Bitner - z/VM Customer Focus and Care - 607-429-3286 bitn...@us.ibm.com
"Making systems practical and profitable for customers through virtualization
and its exploitation." - z/VM

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/